Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Back in the hospital

For the past little bit Ellen has not been feeling well. She was fussy, tired, and vomiting. I thought is was just a stomach bug. I slowed her feeds down, and she tolerated that for a while, but then again, she began to vomit. Every time I tried to "cough" her or suction her, she would vomit. Saturday night she woke up around 11 screaming. vomiting, high fever, heart rate well above normal limits, and difficulty breathing. I told Spencer it was time to take her to the hospital.
We packed our bags, loaded Ellen and Ethan in the car and drove 3 hours to the children's hospital in Atlanta. (We didn't want to waste our time at our local hospital. Ellen was not in complete distress, so we knew we had time).
Our fears were confirmed. A chest x-ray revealed that Ellen had aspiration pneumonia. She was admitted and given a heavy dose of antibiotics. The following day she had an upper GI to see if her fundoplication wrap was still in tact. The upper GI showed that it was, however we were still advised to switch Ellen's Gastric button to a GJ. We hope this is a temporary solution. Ellen will be re-evaluated in a few months and we will explore the possibility of another surgery to tighten her fundo wrap.
She is now resting peacefully. Ethan and Spencer returned home early this morning because Spencer needed to get back to work. Thankfully a friend has offered to watch Ethan for us. We hope to be discharged by Friday or Saturday.
Never a dull day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you have people who can help with Ethan - Dad knows that I wish I could be there - in fact - he commented on it - I'm glad that she is doing better.

S&B said...

I'm so sorry little Ellen and your family has had such a hard time this past week! I'm grateful things are starting to get better. You will all be in our prayers! Sending our love, Susan and Family

Sarah said...

Oh, Anne, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you got her to the hospital and they are taking care of her, but I can't imagine the stress and worry you must go through constantly. Good luck in the coming days, and keep us posted on how you are all doing.

Chadlee said...

Poor little Ellen! I'm glad you were able to get her to a good hospital. Keep us updated on everything.

abi said...

Oh dear! I hope she recovers quickly and you are able to get back home. Your kids are so blessed to have such a great mom!