Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ellen, Ethan and Uncle Dave




Ellen had surgery this past week to repair her "fundo", She had it placed last spring when she had her G-tube placed to help prevent reflux. A few months ago it became obvious that her fundo had slipped because she would throw up on a daily basis. In her case, this is very dangerous since she is at a high risk for aspiration.
The whole process was far more stressful than I anticipated. Following the surgery Ellen had a difficult time breathing and keeping her lungs clear. She was forced to stay on her bi pap 24/7. She hates that thing. On top of it all, we were the unfortunate souls that were placed in the room next to a new remodeling project in the PICU. It was, to say the least, very loud and I was a bit frazzled.
On day 3, we were finally admitted to the TICU (technology dependent intensive care unit). It was wonderful. Ellen was finally able to rest. At least as well as can be expected in a hospital.
We were discharged on Sunday and Ellen has been smiling ever since. No more throwing up. Hopefully this fundo will last longer than her last one. Keeping our fingers crossed!
My brother Dave has been biking across the US for the past 6 weeks and ended up at our home last Saturday (he started in San Diego, CA). He was nice enough to take a break from his adventure so he could watch Ethan while I was in the hospital with Ellen. He was a HUGE help and Ethan LOVED having his uncle Dave around. Thanks Dave!
Ethan watching TV


4 comments:

ninfa said...

Ellen is such a little trooper! I'm glad she's feeling better and home!!

Chadlee said...

That is so funny, Steve told me once that Spencer used to watch tv upside down. It's in Ethan's genes I guess! Sounds like a rough time with Ellen and the surgery. She is too sweet to have to go through all this. I wish we could help out in some way.

S&B said...

I'm so glad you guys got home so you an all rest better. Ellen looks so cute with her hair growing so much and Ethan is a charmer as usual. Sending our love!

Sarah said...

Hope things have gone smoothly with the new and improved fundo. I'm impressed you made it through - stuff like that just stresses me right out.

Oh, and biking across the US? That's crazy cool. Or maybe just crazy? :) No, seriously, that's amazing. How fun to have him stop in and visit during his adventure.

Ethan is adorable - even upside down.